Poole fire

Albion fireman Harold Alka kneels outside the home of David Pool on Plum Street in Grayville on Saturday morning to catch his breath after fighting a blaze that gutted the home. Pool was taken by ambulance from the scene, but was not injured in the blaze according to firemen.

Firemen were called to the home of Grayville resident David Poole on Saturday morning, Aug. 10, as fire gutted Poole’s home.

“The call came in at 7:56 a.m. We were on scene for three and a half hours, and then we were called back for a rekindle about an hour and a half later,” said Grayville mayor and Little Wabash Fire Protection District chief Travis Thompson.

“LWFPD had eight firefighters there. We responded with a pumper, tanker and a rescue truck. We called for mutual aid from Albion, and they responded with a pumper, tanker and a brush truck.”

He reported that Poole was taken off to the hospital by ambulance but that he was uninjured in the fire.

“He was taken to Deaconess Hospital possibly due to smoke inhalation, but I don’t know that for a fact.”

Thompson stated after discussing the incident with Grayville police and Poole himself, the cause was determined to be accidental. They concluded that the cause of the fire was a leftover, burning cigarette.

Thompson said that the Red Cross had been contacted for Poole.

“I talked with the Red Cross yesterday; they wanted to know what all he needed, and I told them that it was a total loss. He would be lucky to salvage anything from the house.”

The mayor noted that upon arriving to the scene that there were no fire alarms going off and reminds the public how important fire safety measures are.

“I would just like to remind everyone to take advantage of our free smoke alarm program. You can contact me any time, and the fire department would be happy to come out and install them for you free of charge.”

The smoke alarm safety program is a year-round, state-funded program.