Edwards County Commissioner Duane Lear will hold his seat for another six years.

Lear defended his seat against West Salem resident Jon Webber, with the incumbent commissioner pulling in 65 percent of the vote at 870. Webber accounted for the remaining 35 percent with 458 votes.

While the race was for the right to be the Republican candidate for the seat in the Nov. 3 General Election, the lack of a Democratic candidate in the race assures Lear will remain on the county board for a six-year term.

Three other county officials ran unopposed, as Edwards County Circuit Clerk Margaret Branum pulled in 1,264 votes, State’s Attorney Eric St. Ledger managed 1,288 votes and Coroner Mark Curtis received 1,317 votes.

At the state level, Edwards County narrowly sided with Adam Niemerg in the race to represent Republicans in the 109th District. Niemerg finished with 758 votes to Andy Hires’ 580. The winner of that race will face off against Democrat John Spencer, who secured 183 votes in Edwards County.

Darren Bailey, who is currently the Representative of the 109th District, brought in 91 percent of the Edwards County vote in his bid to replace Dale Righter as Senator for Illinois’ 55th District. Bailey bested fellow Republican Jeff Fleming, 1,252–123 in the race, with no Democrat running on the other side.

In the race for District 5 Supreme Court Justice, David Overstreet earned 83 percent of the county’s Republican vote with 992. Fellow Republican John Barberis Jr. nabbed the remaining 17 percent of the vote at 198.

The winner of that race will face off with Democrat Judy Cates, who secured 183 Edwards County votes, in the November General Election.

In the Republican bid for Illinois’ 15th Congressional District, Mary Miller took Edwards County with 838 votes, with Darren Duncan’s 251 votes, Kerry Wolff’s 138 votes and Chuck Ellington’s 50 votes rounding out the race. For the Democratic bid for the 15th District, Erika Weaver topped Edwards County with 89 votes, with Kevin Gaither nabbing 80, Craig Morton finishing with 24 votes and John Hursey Jr. managing four votes.