A Richland County, Ill. man is behind bars after leading Grayville police on a high speed pursuit Tuesday night.  Timothy L. Shaver, 52 of Noble faces multiple charges related to the chase that left two Grayville police cars damaged.

The incident started shortly before 10 pm Tuesday after a customer at the Grayville Hucks called police to report man driving a Ford F-150 pickup truck was under the influence of alcohol or drugs. 

Grayville Patrolman Mike Brown caught up with Shaver's truck on South Court Street and observed him weaving and traveling 48 in a 35 mph zone.  Officer Brown conducted a traffic stop at Gray Street and as he got out of his patrol car, Shaver sped away.  Officer Brown pursued Shaver's truck south on Illinois Route 1 to Interstate 64 reaching speeds of 90 mph in a 45 mph zone. Shaver then turned onto the eastbound ramp of I-64, speeding towards Indiana.  Police said that once in Indiana, Shaver crossed the median, headed back into the west bound lanes and returned to Illinois.

At Route 1, Shaver turned back southbound towards Crossville, “brake checking” Officer Brown numerous times, causing the officer to drastically brake to avoid striking the suspect's truck.  The pursuit continued southbound at speeds of 100 mph, police said with Shaver eventually turning onto Potter Street to Morrell Street and back onto Main Street.  It was there that Grayville Police  Chief David Burrows joined the pursuit. Chief Burrows said he observed Shaver driving towards him and blocked the highway with his patrol car at the old Crossville viaduct. Shaver then turned into the gravel parking lot on the east side of the roadway and headed back south through the parking area with Officer Brown behind him.  

Chief Burroughs drove south on Route 1 and Main Street, where Shaver rammed his cruiser as it came back onto the highway and continued south on Route 1.  The Grayville officers continued the pursuit at speeds of 100 mph as Shaver allegedly “brake checked” his pursuers numerous times. Shaver then turned east onto White County Road 1400 E and again “brake checked” the officers as he turned east.  

Officer Brown was eventually able to overtake Shaver's truck and blocked its path at the intersection of County Roads 1500 E and 1625 N.  Shaver then rammed Brown's patrol car and attempted to back away, ramming Chief Burrows patrol vehicle, becoming pinned between the two patrol vehicles. 

With no escape route, Shaver was taken into custody without further incident and taken to the jail in Carmi where he is being held on preliminary charges of aggravated fleeing or attempting to elude, drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, driving on a revoked license, and aggravated battery of a police officer.

Grayville authorities added that Shaver was wanted on warrants out of Tippecanoe and Carrol counties in Indiana. At the time of his arrest, police say he also was in possession of identification cards from Tennessee.

Shaver remains in custody pending the filing of formal charges and setting of bond.